8.02.2008

What have I got myself into?

Well I thought I would let you all know what my first week in medical school consisted of. This whole week was a combination of mini orientation sessions and lectures from 8am to 4pm. This block will consist of 12 weeks of mostly gross anatomy along with osteopathic manipulative medicine (which runs continuously for the first 2 years) and several smaller mini courses like embryology, histology, ethics, professionalism, etc... this first semester will consist of 40 credit hours and after we get through the 12 week anatomy block will include courses like biochemistry, genetics, pharmacology, microbiology, etc. I have never taken more than 15 credit hours per semester in the past.

We are required to buy 14 text books for this semester, so far I have bought 6 and have spent almost $500. (There is also a list of about 5 or 6 books that are "recommended") OUCH!!

Of course every morning I wake up with a giant knot in my stomach and can hardly eat. My embryology class has me really worked up because every day the instructor puts up clinical cases related to the material and randomly calls out someone to come up with a diagnosis and treatment. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe.

We also have what is called an iclicker. This is similar to the technology of what the audience uses in "Who wants to be a millionaire". The question goes up, you have 30 seconds to read the question and use your iclicker to lock in your answer, we are all registered to a certain one so they can use it as a graded quiz or just for "fun" to check to see if the class as a whole understands the concept being taught.

The school is very rule oriented. There is a very strict dress code...professional dress at all times, no exceptions. Attendance is also mandatory, we have assigned seating and you have to call in if you will be unable to attend class. No food or drinks, except downstairs in the cafe, PERIOD!

So other than being really anxious and nervous everyday, the week went pretty smooth until Thursday. This was the day that anatomy started and, although ,I have taken an anatomy class at Weber with a cadaver lab, it is definitely going to be much more rigorous. I was feeling so overwhelmed by the afternoon about the amount of material and testing procedures that by the time we got to the cadaver lab I think I had hit my maximum. This lab was not a formal lab, it was just to orient us with the cadavers and be focused on the protocol of working in the lab, what bin is for human remains versus paper and plastic trash, etc.

My biggest fears for the cadaver lab were 1)vomiting, 2)passing out, 3)crying. We got in, opened up our cadaver station and of course the smell of the embalming fluid hits (25 dead bodies in one room), I am definitely nauseous at this point but hold it together. I start looking at this skinless, lifeless body and try to hold it together and eventually start welling up with tears and need to walk out. As I start to leave the lab one of the instructors must have noticed my near tearful eyes and followed me out to check on me. Of course now that he is asking if I am OK I can't keep my composure and break down into tears. Long story short I cried on and off for the next hour and am dreading going back into that lab. I can only imagine the horror of having to slice into this dead body. I am sure by the end of this 12 week lab my first two fears will also come into play, I just hope I vomit into the right bin. Something to look forward to!

At any rate I have my first exam on Monday so we will see how it goes.

17 comments:

Nate said...

When we were taking the tour of LECOM last week, they took all the visitors into the cadaver lab. They did not show us the bodies, but the smell, the metal boxes and the atmosphere was enough to send me running for the door. I know there is NO way I could do it.

Seeing how much work and what these students have to do to become a doctor has giving me a new perspective and a lot more respect for physicians and Ang is only through the first week. I think I will stick with a Masters Degree in CHIROPRACY and claim I have been in school for 10 years.

Tilley/Booth said...

I want to cry for you right now. I know that I have only very limited experience with the deceased. I can tell you that the embalming fluid of one small child can be completely overwhelming sometimes. On the other hand I am glad to know that you shed tears over the situation, otherwise I may think you were a cold hearted bitch! When I did the molds by myself of the young man who shot himself in the head, I was feeling very emotional. I was praying that the mortician would not walk in to see me sniffling. I have a great respect for you! Remember everyone else in the room is probably as anxious and nervous as you are.

I love you!

Jessica said...

The first time I had to work in a cadaver lab I blacked out. The smell is definatly overwhelming.

Jen said...

I cried a little just reading your post. All I can say is that you are amazing. I can't even imagine 40 credit hours per semester. It makes me want to vomit for you.

Ang said...

All of this vomit talk reminds me of the part in the movie "Goonies" when Chunk is explaining to the Frattelli brothers about the very worst thing he ever did. When he took fake vomit into a movie theater and it made everyone in the theater sick!

Look what I have started!

Sheryl said...

Oh, my heart goes out to you and I am in tears too.

I knew that this would be part of your schooling, but didn't realize it would begin the first week. I had envisioned it somewhere down the road, maybe a year from now.

I think what Jo said is true. Try to remember that you are not the only person who feels anxious, nervous, nauseated, and overwhelmed. Take it one minute at a time if you have too, and know that we are all praying and pulling for you.

Love you!

Jen said...

It is a little bit like the movie "Goonies". I loved that movie, and I loved Chunk even though he caused an entire theater to vomit!

Steph Thompson said...

I'm sorry gal! I am teary from reading your post. I love you so much! You will do great! Keep your chin up and your nose plugged! You are going to be amazing! And remember, when its all said and done you can tell people to address you by Dr. Barnes and nothing else because you have been to school for ten years to earn that title!!!!!

Shelly said...

I don't even know what to say besides WOW!! You are amazing, it will all pay off in the end, it's just getting to the end that will be the challenge!! GOOD LUCK, you'll do great!!

Nate said...

This is a test of the emergency broadcast system!!!

Denise said...

I am also in tears....

I wish I could ease your load somehow. I am really counting on Nate and the girls to help you out!

Remember to take it one day at a time and if that is too much just take it an hour at a time. It seems like a lot right now, but I have seen you endure a lot and I know that this is not too much for you.

And how neat to read the comments and see how many people are rooting for you! Love you with all my heart. xoxo

Ang said...

Thanks everyone for all your kind words...they mean more than you will ever know. I will pull myself up by the boot straps and get it done.

Nate and the girls have been amazing. Nate did all the grocery shopping, dinners, cleaning and entertaining the kids last week... fabulous! I secretly don't want him to get a job because then I will have to start pitching in more...shhh don't tell!!!

N and J said...

Oh my crap Angie, I can't imagine how awful that would be. However you have such a gift in writing that I almost felt I was there. I know you are strong enough to make it. Perhaps you will have to do like most of us do when faced with those challenges. Just take it one day at a time an you deserve a pat on the back for making through the first week.
The Hibiscus does require a lot of water but yellow leaves are either too much or too little. Big help I am. Note, the shrub,(rose of Sharon) will get almost tree size and get bigger and more beautiful every year. The flower gets to shrub size each year and then completely dies back and starts anew every spring.
Nate I can't figure out how to respond to your comments on my blog so I am responding here. Maybe you can help me. Ok the Waterfall is right as you come out the front door of the house. Just off to the right a little. The Hibiscus (I actually have three plants of them run across the back of my flower garden along the far north of the property. The swing and white fence are running along the far south of the property. Not behind mom's but behind the other neighbors. Tell Lex it is where we laid and watched the Mom and baby quail. She will remember where that is.

Steph Thompson said...

Way to go Nate! You are definatley far from the weakest link! Keep up the good work.

Tiff and Trev said...

Yikes, Ang! What have you gotten yourself into?! j/k. I'd definitely do all three...puke, cry, and pass out...so the fact that you only did one is good! We're all so proud of you...and are excited to have a doctor in the family.

Matt-n-Jef said...

OMG!! I can't even imagine. My eyes welled up with tears. All I would be able to think about is... What happened to this person, how is their family taking this? Does their family even know?, does anyone care?, So many thoughts and so little time. You have to have a heart of gold to be able to even go on after that.

Grandmajoann said...

I seem to be having the same problem with my tear ducts! I find it quite amazing that you can write and spell all the words you have written here.
I had no idea it would be so involved right away, and so many hours. I wish I could just come and live and do the cooking for you. Maybe Lexie and Liv will have to help Dad with the meals...I suppose no one knows what is involved in a profession until they get this close to it. I wish you all the best, and all of life is easier if you take it one day at a time. Love ya all BUNCHES