8.09.2008

Easy Money

Before







I stole that title from MarK; I thought it fit well here! For the past three days we have been trying to refinish the girl's upstairs bathroom. It has been usable for the first two months we have lived here, but the vanity, sink, medicine cabinet, and toilet were obviously put in when the house was built in 1969. They were NASTY. I had originally hired a plumber to put in the toilet, but after getting reassured by Jen and my next door neighbor we decided to give it a try!

Overall, both the vanity, sink, and toilet were fairly easy to put in (it's a lot easier to say that now)!! We had to replace all of the pipes under the sink because they were corroded and the bolts that held the toilet on had to be chiseled away, but other than that we came out unscathed. It is pretty scary thinking Ang and I can do this kind of work, because neither of us were blessed with ANY handyman skills. It has been and will continue to be a learning experience, but with the use of neighbors and GOOGLE; anything is possible!!!
AFTER

12 comments:

Ang said...

I can take no credit for this project. The only thing I did was sweep up the floor when they were done, I am worthless to say the least!

Thank you honey, you are slowly but surely becoming the ultimate handyman!

Matt-n-Jef said...

I'm telling ya.. with the internet anything is possible if ya don't know how to do it. But with a little thought and the right tools everything is doable on your own and a heck of a lot cheaper. Thank goodness for Home Depot and Lowes. The only thing I don't think I would do is building walls and electrical.

Jen said...

Way to go Nate! Slowly but surely we are all learning to do these things on our own. The process is never much fun, but I know I always feel good about having done it myself when it's all over.

The bathroom looks great!

Nate said...

Well Jef...I don't think I have quite the confidence that you have, but I will at least try more things on my own. Maybe once I have redone an entire home, like you have, I will trust myself more.

Thanks Jen...you saved me $90, but since you didn't actually help me put it in; I can't pass any money your way...you were right; it was kind of messy and gross, but it wasn't too bad...We had to get the bathroom done before you got here!!!!

Sheryl said...

The whiter certainly does brighten things up! It looks great. I am so impressed with your skills, Nate. I evision a lot of sweating and cussing, but everything has turned out beautifully.

I can't wait to see it in person, and we are going to need some instruction on mounting doors when we get there.

Shelly said...

Nate, you are amazing!! I didn't know that you posessed so many handy skills. Your bathroom looks FABULOUS!!
I need a copy of Angie's 'Honey Do list' because mine is worthless!! I've waited 2 months for Marc to put up my toilet paper holder (might I add that it's still sitting on the back of the toilet.)

Ang said...

Marc, hang the toilet paper holder!!!

Sheryl said...

To all you guys reading this blog.....Ang has enough to do with school and a family.

We cannot always be asking her to get our honey-do lists done too.....RICK!

Denise said...

WOW!!! It is absolutely beautiful! I am so impressed. I can't wait to come see the house. I am not sure I will get there while we are in show season. But it ends Oct. 15th and that is my first destination!!!!!!!!!

Ang said...

Get here Denise!

Megan said...

Hey Ang...I just added you to my blog. Sounds like you are crazy busy! The bathroom looks great by the way!

N and J said...

So why didn't you learn these wonderful skills when we could have taken advantage of them? If it didn't end in fun or ball you weren't interested. It is great to see you two exploring so many different venues. Must mean you are finally growing up. (ha ha)