12.02.2008

The Great Outdoors

We got the lights up yesterday, with only a few minor issues, extension cord dilemmas and such! We got done just as it was getting dark and then didn't get back out to take a picture until it was advanced dark and snowing. So I will have to get a picture in the light and at dusk today, because this one sucks.
We had a lovely 8 inches to shovel off the driveway this morning, God we just love Erie!!!!
I am obsessed with all our little critters outside. This biggy squirrel is one of three that is always pimping around in our yard, he is seriously bigger than our dog and kind of scares me, he is always just chilling out on this branch. They have been busy hiding nuts randomly in the yard this fall and now when they come down to dig one up, the other squirrels come down and they chase each other around trying to steal from each other. I took a video of it the other day but it didn't turn out so well. The chipmunks are small enough that they can climb up the bird feeder and stuff their faces with bird seed but the squirrels, luckily, stay away from it. We cannot afford to keep feeding the rodents!

We also have a new bird that will hopefully become a regular, obviously I stole this picture off the internet, but this is what he looks like, only he has a red head, the belly is a creamy yellow color. He is a type of woodpecker, maybe a flicker, I think??? I got to see him close up on the feeder for a second before I managed to scare him away and he is gorgeous! He mostly stays in the tree so I haven't got a picture of him yet, but I am officially stalking him.
We will finish the Christmas decorating and get some better pictures up soon.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I wish we had snow here, I am having a hard time getting in the christmas spirit.

Jen said...

Your picture of lights in the dark turned out much better than mine. I am impressed that you got lights on the second storey roofline. It looks really good.

I wish that I had squirrels and chipmunks to watch in my yard. I haven't even seen any birds for a while.

Sheryl said...

I was hoping that your pre-Christmas present had arrived by now. It would be a lovely addition to your blog.

I think the picture of the lights is great! I, too, am impressed that they are way up on the roof line.

We have a couple of woodpeckers hanging around our backyard right now. There is a male and a female. The male is gorgeous. He has the bright red head, but he isn't as outgoing, so we don't see him as often. Enjoy that snow!

Marc T. said...

Um.. I agree with Jen and Mom, the picture turned out good! The snowfall adds a nice touch!

I'm not looking forward to the snow here!

Shelly said...

Love the pictures!! I wonder who used more cuss words putting up the lights, Marc or Nate. (Marc claims he didn't use any cuss words, but I heard differently!!)

I can't wait to see how you decorate the inside of your house!!

Denise said...

You and Jen need to stop stalking strange animals or crustaceans. And no...you can not afford to feed all of these animals LOL.

Matt-n-Jef said...

We've had birds that built a nest over four years ago on our front porch columns. They have returned every year to the nest to hatch and raise their babies. Its amazing to me that they remember where to return every year.