2.12.2009

Maybe I should've been a Vet

I took the pups out for a potty break this afternoon but all Bella wanted to do was eat Baby so I brought baby in and noticed something on her leg. It appears she has a gash in her leg. More specifically, a bite. This is the face of the culprit. Get a good look for she is an evil piglet!

I washed the blood off baby's little bony leg and stuffed her in my jacket and carried her around until after dinner because I am generally a freak about these things. It is a pretty bad bite, I can't see bone but I think she tore through some muscle.

I ran over to Rite aid for some saline wash and flushed out the wound and bandaged her up. I was pretty proud of the job I did and, even better, she wasn't even trying to tear it off. Of course evil has a way of sneaking up on you. About 5 minutes after I had put the dang thing on Bella tore the thing off. I nearly went ballistic on her!

At any rate the patient appears to be resting comfortably and we will re-evaluate in the morning as some stitches may be in order!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Baby! I hope she won't need stitches. Good job Dr. Angie on treating your first patient. Let us know the stats.

Unknown said...

Sounds like my Emily. She has been known to chew into Bryce now and then and also did the same to someone elses dog at Dog Beach. Hence the reason I am hesitant to get another dog. We have to put a muzzle on her to go anywhere that other dogs may be.

She is always wimpering now that Bryce is gone, so I often wonder if she has had a change of heart, and wouldn't mind a buddy at home.

I am so conflicted as to whether to chance it, to save another dog and get her a home buddy or just to continue to feel sad when she wimpers.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask you something. I am not familiar with some kinds of dogs but I was wondering what kind of dog is baby anyways?

Ang said...

Jef, I am conflicted about it as well and I have two now!. I thought having two dogs was a great idea... but I am not so sure some days. I am hoping this is just a puppy thing with Bella and she will learn how to play nice SOON, because for the most part they have a good time playing.

Nicole - Baby is an Italian Greyhound.

Jen said...

Poor Baby! She is way too delicate to beast around with a large puppy. I hope that she is able to heal without Bella continuing to tear into her.

This morning I noticed Shady with something between her paws. When I went to investigate she tore off up the stairs, and when I tracked her down I found that it was a paring knife! The dang animal steals everything that I leave on the counters or in the sink. One of the teachers here told me that she uses bitter apple spray to keep her dog away from things that she shouldn't chew on, and she says that it works really well. I am thinking of getting some and spraying my counters with it. On the bottle it said that when sprayed on the dog's fur it stops them from chewing on themselves, so you might want to invest in a bottle and spray poor Baby down with it. Good luck!

P.S. Happy birthday to Lex!

Sheryl said...

Oh for Pete sake. I really don't go for William chewing on Baby.

(That just sounded wrong, didn't it?)

Shelly said...

Poor Baby!! Good thing theres a Dr. in the house...

Tiff and Trev said...

Awww..poor baby... Although Bella how could you be mad too long at Bella with those big puppy dog eyes?! Good thing you know what you're doing! I'm sure that would have been $100 at the vets!

Denise said...

Did poor girl have to get stitches? I am really sad for her!