8.31.2010

Good enough for now

The past month we have been busy de-nautical-izing this house. As with all home projects everything takes at least twice, some times three, times longer than you anticipated. I am so sick of painting I don't know that we will do anything else to the place for another year!

Shepherd was real tired of painting... her little ear was not the only area that "helped", one day she decided to take a nap at the bottom of the stairs after I finished painting them and her back was slightly white washed when she got up. Another day she decided to bring her fetching ball in and dropped it in the paint tray... blasted dog!



The before pictures:


As you come in the front door, here is the living room. Previously it was just all white washed.



Next you walk into the dining room, still just a white washed room.




From the dining room there is a staircase up to the girls bathroom and bedrooms, from there you can continue up another small staircase to our master's sitting room. Note the "beautiful" sail ship gate!


The dining room also leads into the kitchen.




Here is a closer look of the "darling" sea creature backsplash.... a dastardly design.



From the kitchen there is a staircase up to our master bedroom, or down to the family room and also a side staircase down to the laundry and garage. Here the lovely family room is in all her glory. Don't you just LOVE the blueish gray trim, it highlights the wood paneling so well!


Oh yes, a wood paneling nightmare! Around that column on the left of the picture below is a door to the spare bedroom and half bath.


The after pictures:




While mom was here she helped me pick out paint, I wanted to be daring but chickened out and went with a version of light beige as our main color throughout the house.



Initially as the paint went up I was wishing I would have gone a little darker but now I am really pleased with it. I already have so much color in my living room that I think it balances the room out nicely. This is not a permanent bench by the window, I just needed to see what an extra piece of furniture would look like in that space so eventually I will find something to go there!





In the dining room I decided to add some more color on the walls, pumpkin butter, I really love this color! I think it adds some richness to the room and is also a nice contrast as you come in from the living room and see the kitchen/family room beyond.



We tore up the carpet off the stairs and said goodbye to that cute little gate, with some putty and a fresh coat of high gloss white paint they look much better.



In the kitchen we covered up the backsplash with some of those facade panels and changed out the blue cabinet knobs with bronzed copper knobs.


Eventually we would like to put a counter unit in by the stove. The one thing this house really lacks is counter space in the kitchen, but for now it's GOOD ENOUGH!


We toyed with the idea of a breakfast bar and stools or a small little bistro set for this area of the kitchen, but in the end our leather wing chairs inherited from dad and a little pedestal table I had worked out just fine... and with no added expense!



The family room turned out really nice, it actually looks bright and clean now!





This room was an absolute nightmare to paint... some of the trim required 4 coats of paint and still looks like it could use one more.





I cleaned up the fireplace, spray painted the vents and removed the screen. I wanted to make it more of a focal point but even though this room is really good sized with the cabinets, the staircase and sliding door I have had a hard time coming up with a good arrangement. Eventually we would love to sheetrock the room and get rid of the paneling and cabinets... for now it's just a dream!

I still HATE this carpet but I am trying my best not to look at it. The room still needs some more furniture... coffee table, side table and maybe a love seat???

Who knows when we will decide to tackle our master bedroom area and the spare bedroom, like I said... good enough for now!

Nate was also able to get our gates in the backyard secured so it is finally Baby proofed! It is such a relief to be able to let her out and not watch her like a hawk. Speaking of the Baby, she woke us up a couple of mornings ago having a seizure. I can not even describe to you how scared I was, I didn't know if she was dying or what. Nate called the vet while I stayed with her and they said to just watch her and wait and if she has another one to document everything about it and come in. So hopefully it was a freak thing, I can't stand the thought of watching her go through that again.

Hope you all had a wonderful summer, I am back on rotations and the kids will FINALLY be going to back to school the day after Labor day!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Poor Baby! I don't like the thought of the animals having problems. They are too much a part of the family. As family, it is totally expected that Bella should help paint. I think a ball in the paint tray is completely reasonable.

Your house looks amazing! I love the color. The family room doesn't even look like the same room that I visited. You do such a fantastic job with decorating. If you decide not to go through with this whole doctor thing I think you would make a fabulous interior designer.

Ang said...

After day 2 of 20 of our painting marathon I gave up trying to contain the mutts... Baby was usually burrowed in a blanket with Liv but Bella needed to be close to me. She is such a needy animal!

When the ball bounced into the paint she did one of those high pitched barks where she snaps her teeth at you. Ridiculous!!

Sheryl said...

Oh my gosh! It's not the same house. I can't believe how much you guys got done. It looks amazing. I love the Pumpkin Butter too! It does look fantastically rich. I need to come back and see it all in person.
I agree with Jen, decorating could be your second career. If I had anything worthy to work with, I would sure love to have you do mine.
On the down side, I really don't see how you could bear to part with that nautical gate. Such a work of art should have been preserved for all time. =)

~Cynthia~ said...

I'm exhausted just reading about everything you have done. It all looks marvelous!

N and J said...

Your house looks fantabulous. You guys are amazing. Maybe Angie needs to change course and go into plastic surgery. She could turn some of the rich, famous and ugly into beauties and make a grundle. Hope the two of you got some time to celebrate your number 15. Love ya!!!!