9.18.2009

One course down!

Second year is coming along slowly but surely. We just finished our course over the cardiovascular system, 15 credit hours, and the largest single class we take over the first two years of medical school. I am so relieved to be done with it! Our focus for the next month will be the respiratory system, right now I am knee deep in the physiology of the lungs.... have I mentioned that I HATE physiology? Well I do, I appreciate it, but hate learning it...just when I thought I would never have to look at gas laws and partial pressures from physics...they're back...why do they torture me!

We just finished putting in our requests for our schedules for 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations. They do this in baby steps and do not give us very much information at a time. In our 3rd year we are required to do 4 weeks each of family medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry and ob/gyn, 8 weeks of surgery, 12 weeks of internal medicine and 12 weeks of electives. My sequence of rotations starts with 4 weeks of surgery (SCARED!) in June and my 4 week vacation will be in August for both years. I requested Buffalo as the area I would like to do my rotations in but they have not given us a full list of rotation sites yet. So what I do know is that whatever rotations are offered in Buffalo I should be able to get BUT I will not be able to do ALL my rotations there. They should have a list for us in a couple of weeks and then we go through a couple week process of bidding for those sites, then our school rotation committee finalizes them for us and it's done...or is it? I have heard that students occasionally get bumped from sites and that you have to scramble to find something on your own, but I have several months and several classes to keep my mind from worrying to much about it right now.

8 comments:

Shelly said...

You are much smarter than I am Angie. Just reading that gave me a headache!! Yeah for you, You are AMAZING!!

Sheryl said...

YIPPEE! One class down and how many to go? I'm sure it feels fantastic to have that one out of the way. I think the only way I would survive is to do a check off of what is finished, and not look too far ahead.

For me the surgery would be the most frightening thing, so maybe it would be good to have that done first. After that it may seem like a cake walk. It is nice to know already when you can plan vacation time for the next 2 years, and we will cross our fingers that most all your rotations can get done in Buffalo or at least very close to.

Congrats on getting past the cardiovascular system!

Jen said...

Hooray for finishing another class! I hope that things work out well for you with your rotations. It seems silly that they are so secretive about it. Keep hanging in there.

Julie said...

I would never be able to remember it all. Thank goodness for smart people like you!

Kellie said...

Wow, did I ever mention how much I hated school. Ugh, and know you have so much of it, I would go in sane! Good luck with all of it!

Steph Thompson said...

Thank God! One down...don't think about whats left to go! I will keep my fingers crossed for your rotations. How's Nates job?!

N and J said...

Way to go Angie girl! By now you know you can do this so just keep going for it. First they take your heart and then teach you to breathe. Sounds like a survivor curriculum. Don't let surgery bother you. It is amazing to get a first hand look at how wonderful the human body really is and how you can repair it so it works even better. Finally you are getting into the practical fun stuff. Just be careful how much practice you do on the family....

Denise said...

I think this is going to go by so fast. Before you know it you will be looking for a job. I can't wait!