1.11.2009

The Presentation of the White Coat

I will preface this post with a note that it may be long and drawn out, but it was one of the proudest days of my life, so I want it well documented for my daughters and family to see.

On Friday, Sheryl and Rick spent an entire day (15 hours) traveling across the country in order to be with their daughter on this special day. Because of the white-out conditions and snow-pack on the runway, the North Pole (Erie) shut down the airport shortly after their arrival, but we got them to our house in one piece.

The much anticipated "white coat" ceremony took place on Saturday. We all packed into the Protege, (that's right, 6 people in the Protege) and headed to the Warner Theatre in downtown Erie. The Protege has not been fixed since Ang got run in to, so when we put 4 people in the backseat; there was a loud "rubbing" noise that made conversation difficult. With 8 inches of snow on the roads, we made it there in one piece. The first two pictures are of the outside of the theatre, the admission ticket, and the program.




The ceremony started with a few introductions, the pledge, and an "inspirational" video presentation. The keynote speaker was a girl that graduated from LECOM in 2002. She gave a speech about what it meant to be a doctor. She told how it felt to share in the hopes and fears of people, to be the first person to touch a new born baby in the delivery room and how it felt to be the last person to hold someones hand as they took their last breath. She told of what it was like to save a life and what it was like to feel helpless when there was no medicine left to cure an ailing patient. She told of how difficult it was to become a doctor, but how rewarding it was after you made it.

After the speaker, the students went up on the stage in groups of 4 and had one of the faculty members present them with their white coats and a stethoscope. We were at the back of the auditorium, but Rick managed to get a couple of good pictures, even though Ang had her back turned.






After they were presented their white coats, all the students had to stand and repeat the Osteopathic promise. I don't think words can describe how it felt to sit through this presentation and watch Ang receive her white coat. I don't think I have ever felt so much admiration for someone in my life. I tried to explain to Liv and Lex what this moment meant, but I think it will be years down the road before they truly understand what their mother has accomplished. I know she still has several years of school and a residency in front of her, but to think of everything she has already accomplished is mind-boggling. This is the girl who has raised two beautiful daughters while she attended school full-time and earned a degree in Microbiology. The same girl who got accepted to 4 medical schools as a non-traditional student. The same girl who gets up every morning, takes care of the kids, dogs, and house; studies for 10-12 hours and then sleeps for a few hours before doing it all over again. To say it is inspiring, is an under-statement.
I wish all of our family and friends could have been here! I can almost see the tears running down Craiger's face as the white coat was slid over his daughters arms. He would be so proud. I hope the pictures help you to share in our moment!







17 comments:

Ang said...

Thank you honey! Even though I know you may be biased you captured the moment beautifully, I am completely overwhelmed!

It was an amazing ceremony one that I will forever cherish. Being able to share it with Nate, the girls, Mom and Rick was definitely the best part. I feel so lucky that I have so much love and support from such wonderful people.

Jen said...

I wish that we all could have been there with you. I is truly amazing that you have accomplished so much.

Megan said...

That is SO exciting Ang. Congratulations!

Tiff and Trev said...

You look so good in a white coat, Ang! (I guess you look good in just about anything...but the white coat looks exceptionally well!) I love you guys so much, and am so proud of Angie! You too, Nate, you are so incredible too! You guys have accomplished so much and are such great examples to the rest of us. I wish I could have been there to celebrate! Congratulations!!!

Grandmajoann said...

How very special. I had to go on-line to find out just what a white coat ceremony was. We are so proud of you also. And the pictures are so nice. I especially love your little family group picture, with the girls all dressed up. What a wonderful event to remember. Congratulations...You look just great in your white coat!

Denise said...

Congratulations Ang! Tears are running down my face, because of the beautiful picture Nate created for me.

I could never tell you enough how amazing I think you are. Nate said it all. You have made an incredible life for yourself and your family. And Nate I thank you so much for being there for her. You are equally as amazing.

I miss you so much and I am so excited for your next step. You are one of the strongest women I know and I absolutely admire you and am jealous of you every day!

Shelly said...

Wow that was quite a tribute Angie. Not only are you Amazing for doing what you do, but you have an Amazing husband and girls right behind you.

Congratulations on your white coat ceremony. We wish we could have been there to witness it first hand... but thank-you for re-creating the night so we could be a part of it in some small way!!

Marc T. said...

It's events like this that makes you being so far away sucky!

Congratulations sis! I/We are very proud of you. Miss you very much and wish we could have been there to support you on this day.

Love You All!


Marc

Julie said...

I, too have tears in my eye's. Angie we are so very proud of you. Thanks Nate, for sharing that wonderful tribute. Can't wait to see you all again, family parties aren't the same without you.

Tilley/Booth said...

I am so proud to say you are all part of MY family! I am missing you all so much! This week has been extra hard and emotional for me. All of the milestones and accidents have hit me full force. I hope to see you soon. Love you all!

Sheryl said...

I wish you all could have been there. It really was amazing. Nate, you really did do a wonder ful job of recreating the event. Thanks so much for allowing us to come and be with you all.

We are always amazed and thankful for the way your little family supports each other and pulls together. It is so awesome.

That Protege is one sweet ride, with or without the rubbing noise! It got us everywhere we wanted or needed to go. I think that you should keep that car forever. It would make a wonderful first car for a couple of beautiful young ladies I know!

Anonymous said...

That is so Awesome! You will be a good doctor. You are a very smart woman. I wish I could of gone into that feild. Congrats Ang!

~Cynthia~ said...

Okay, Nate, you've got us all crying with your well-written account of the day. I am really proud of you Ang, and look forward to seeing you reach all your milestones on the way to your ultimate goal. Love you all..

Britt said...

Wow Ang ~ I am so moved! It is wonderful to be able to catch up on what has been going on with you and your family. You are and have always been amazing!

Britt said...

Wow ~ what a moving post! It so great to be able to catch up on what you and your family have been accomplishing over the years. You are amazing Ang!

Britt said...

Sorry, didn't mean to post twice :)

N and J said...

Sorrry it took us so long to check the blogs. You know how busy we are. It takes two naps a day just to keep up with our hectic schedule. We knew from the minute we met Ang that she was a winner. We are not surprised with your accomplishments because you have what it takes to do anything you set your mind to. We are, however, proud of who you have become. Wish we were closer so we could share these special moments. Even with all of the pressures and time commitment, it sounds like you four, or is it six, have found a way to build a stronger relationship, maintain focus and increase your love for one another. You are awesome!