9.04.2008

School Update

Thought I would celebrate the fact that I have nearly completed 6 weeks in medical school by giving an update. We have finished two courses entirely, histology and spirituality/medical ethics. Luckily I have passed both courses, woo hoo! I hated every minute of histology and was really glad to be done with it, identifying tissues through power point slides just seems really stupid. I think it would have been really cool to show us the slides and then let us actually see the tissues under the microscope, but what do I really know.

I struggled every minute I was in the spirituality and ethics course. I found the ethics portion to be really interesting, it was also an eye opener (sometimes downright shocking) to hear other people's opinions and beliefs on controversial issues like end of life care. I had to gag down the spirituality portion and still have very mixed emotions about it. I think what they intended to do was to point out that all of our patients will differ in their beliefs and we will need to be sensitive to those needs, which I absolutely agree with. The course ended up being riddled with religious undertones, and quite frankly offended more people than it educated. Unfortunately many of the lecturers were religious leaders from the community basically coming in and talking down to anyone who differed with their belief system, not very effective in teaching respect and tolerance in my opinion. Thank goodness for Nate, he talked me down after many frustrating days.

We are now back to anatomy and going through the organ systems. I find this more meaningful and much more enjoyable than the muscles. Yesterday we dissected the lungs and today the heart. It really is amazing, I am blown away by the intricacy of our bodies. The muscles were really disgusting to me but so far the lungs and heart are quite beautiful.

I have been pretty down in the dumps this week about school. I just feel like I can barely keep up with the pace and never feel like I am mastering the material, it is a bit unnerving. I still get a stomach ache every morning before school, sigh!!!

12 comments:

~Cynthia~ said...

I can't believe it has been 6 weeks already. It has gone by fast for me. :-) I could never in a million years do what you are doing and I am amazed and awed at what you are taking on. Congrats on passing your courses. I am sure you are going to continue to do it all terrifically.

Sheryl said...

Thanks for the update. Of course we want to know every day what is going on, but know that you don't have time to mess around with it. We are shocked to have an update during the week. I expect to have to wait for weekends!

Congrats on passing your classes and getting those out of the way, and I'm glad that the anatomy material has moved in to something more interesting.

I'm sorry to hear that the knot in the stomach is still present and accounted for. I hope it is not too awfully long before it realizes that you are fine, and can handle class without it. Maybe it could just call in sick one day and sit it out.

Hey, remind me when your White Coat ceremony is. I think you said Jan. 10.

Jen said...

Think of it this way, you're half way through this semester, right? With two courses passed and out of the way you should be good to go for the next six weeks.

Julie said...

I think you are amazing and I am proud of you. Isn't it great to have a good husband who is there for you and willing to listen. Way to go to both of you!

Denise said...

You are so incredible to me :) Of course it doesn't feel like you are mastering the material! They are stuffing you full of tons of stuff, but I am sure later on you will spend more time so don't panic. Godfrey! You have such a full plate. You are doing great and I miss you so much and love you so much.

Ang said...

I guess I should be greatful that my stomach pain is not related to the growth of a small weiner dog!

Thanks for all the kind words it means sooo much to me. Now I will cry a little and have a little lump in my throat to go with my anxiety! I miss everyone terribly.

Shelly said...

You amaze me Angie. I don't know how you balance everything you do so well. There are somedays I can't even manage to keep my house clean little alone go to medical school and be super mom!! You are amazing!!

Grandmajoann said...

Good going girl! Wow, Six weeks?
I am sure you are busy and studying every minute, but when it is all over with, what an education you will have. And I too am sorry that you have a stomach ache every morning. I wish I had the desire to just study the body for my own sake. It would be interesting to see all the body parts, one by one.
I love all of you and miss all of you.

Nate said...

I agree with everyone, you are amazing Angela! You are a MULTI-TASKER! It makes me tired just watching you.

Tiff and Trev said...

Hooray! Two down...how many more to go? That's exciting! I'm glad to hear you're being challenged (although I'm sure that's an understatement) and that you're learning a lot. I think it would be so awesome to dissect the different organs!

thebeaver said...

WOW !! It's amazing to read and try to understand what you are going through. I hear how hard it is to push past the anxiety coming from many directions. What you are doing does amaze and inspire many of us. We all love you..and we are amazed at what a great family you've created to surround yourself with. I'm in your corner..Please remember to give yourself some breathing room from time to time 'cause I don't want you to wear out. Your peeps only want you to be happy Angie and we are all your peeps. I Love you and your amazing family..Lex, Liv Nate & Baby.

N and J said...

Wow Ang,
Sometimes I think you are too hard on yourself. I think anyone who can find beauty in the heart and lung is going to make it. I think every student in your class has fears and anxiety. But you are all concerned with different things. Concentrate on the things you find fascinating, make them your strengths and just get through the rest the best you can. We love you. The SB Fair is coming up and I am sure going to miss you. But in the greater scheme of things what you are doing is far more important.