3.21.2010

House Hunting

After getting the house cleaned and ready to be shown today we dropped the animals off at the "Critter Sitters". It was a little dramatic. Our big, dominating German Shepherd is quite the pussy cat. I introduced her to the other dog being doggy sat, a chocolate lab her same age, and she was terrified. He tried to bring a rope over to play with her and if she could have jumped up into my arms to safety she would have.... totally ridiculous!

We got up to Buffalo and looked at 7 houses and have three that we are considering. Of course we need an offer on our home before we can move forward so if we don't get one in the next couple of weeks these homes may not even be available.

House #1:

This home is our top pick right now. At 2600 sq ft it is the biggest... and most expensive. It has 2 and a half baths, 4 bedrooms (a true master bedroom), family room, living room, formal dining room, huge kitchen and loads of closet and storage space. The yard is fenced and as you can see from the picture just oozing with charm, I LOVE the exterior. The neighborhood is so quaint... not a cookie cutter neighborhood, every home is different. The cons to this one, obviously the price tag, it may be over our budget, no central air, the kitchen is slightly outdated with ugly vinyl floors. What I like about this house is that it is somewhere we could stay and make updates over the years and be happy staying there even when I am rolling in the cash!

House #2

This home is part of an association... which is both good and bad... someone telling you what you can and can't do BUT 5 swimming pools, rec center, tennis courts, etc all available. The neighborhood, again, is just charming. This picture does not do the home justice. The yard is immaculate and the stamped concrete driveway is beautiful, the backyard has a two tiered deck... super cute. The association does not allow fences... so we would have to do the electric fence but Bella is already trained on it so that isn't the issue, it is just are dumb little Baby that would be the problem! This one has 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, family room, living room, formal dining. The kitchen is slightly outdated and the bathrooms are horrifically outdated.

House #3

This is the smaller of the three homes. It has a really interesting layout which also causes you to lose a lot of living space. 4 beds, 2 1/2 baths, living room and formal dining room. The yard is only partially fenced so we would need to finish one side and the backyard is quite small because it is a corner lot. The other down side to this home is that the street that you enter the front door on is a darling neighborhood but the garage side street is pretty busy and not as cute of homes. It also has only a 1 car garage and with these winters we would really appreciate being able to put both cars in.

Vote for your favorite!!!!

The dog sitter dropped off the dogs and apparently they had a great time despite being a little scared and confused at first. I am so relieved that Bella is friendly with other dogs.... Jen do you and Shady need to drive out and spend the summer with us???? Bella NEEDS a big friend. The greatest is that the note the dog sitter left said that they were very well behaved but that Baby often snapped at Bella... 10lb dog that dominates 70lb dog = totally ridiculous!

12 comments:

Tiff and Trev said...

How fun! I love all three! I agree with you though, and # 1 is my fav for sure! I LOVE the yard and the big trees and the long driveway....it has a lot of character. I hope you have good luck selling your house! I'm sure it will sell fast with all of the cute things you guys have done with the place!

~Cynthia~ said...

I vote number 1 if you can swing it. If you can manage to afford it now, then it should be super easy to manage once you get working. It definitely looks like a house you could be happy in for a long time and can fix the few issues as you can. It really has great street presence. I think it is really lovely. I don't mind #2, but I think it would get old living under a bunch of rules in your own house. Having that extra bedroom to use for guests when you have them and something else when you don't would also be something I would want if I were in your situation. Good luck with the decision.

iMzOOL said...

what a hassle. we just found out nick got a rotation in salt lake, so we have 3 months to sale our house before we move. we are in bathroom renovations and stressing out. jealous you have yours up on the market. do you have a realtor or are you doing it yourself?

love the look of the 1st house, but all of them are great looking. good luck. excited for you all. hear that buffalo is a great place.

Ang said...

Michelle -
Did Nick get a rotation or a residency in SLC?

We are going through a realtor because if we tried to do it ourselves the bulk of the showing would fall on me, and I can't afford for my grades to suffer any more than they are! I am horrible about making med school a top priority... constantly finding better things to do with my time and attention.

We had a dozen people come look at our house this past week but haven't gotten any feedback so I don't know what is so unappealing to people yet, really frustrating. My rotations start in June in Buffalo but I don't know if the house will be sold by then... STRESS!

Good luck with your move as well, that will be so nice to be back around family, especially with the arrival of the baby!!

iMzOOL said...

yes, residency is what i meant. too many "r" words to keep track of. we want to have a realtor but in des moines they take a 7% commission. is it that high for you? i get that you have no time for showing. lexy is really slacking. ha ha ha. it will be nice to be around family, but i love seeing new places and experiencing them (vacations do only so much). love new york. will have to come visit.

Ang said...

I agree with you Michelle, we don't plan on going back to Utah... too many places we want to see and experience, but I guess we have to be flexible. Here the realtor is taking 6%, only been in the house 2 years so we may end up losing some money. Our realtor acts like we can at least break even, despite her commission... we aren't totally convinced but we'll see.

Sheryl said...

Of course #1 is to die for, but I like two as well. I personally would hate the HOA. I think it is ridiculous to pay people money to tell me what I can and can't do to my own property. It does keep the riff raff out, but still...

Shelly said...

I love all three houses, but would have to vote for house #1 as well, lots of character! We'll keep our fingers crossed that you sell quickly!

Ang said...

Mom, I think we are the riff raff!

Jen said...

Okay, I don't remember any of these three houses in the listings that you sent me!

I totally love number 1 if you can afford it. Because I hate the thought of someone telling me what I can or cannot do on my own property I would not go for number 2, but if you guys don't mind that's up to you.

Good luck!

Ang said...

Jennifer check your email, I sent them yesterday or the day before, not sure which!

Sheryl said...

White and trashy is not the same as riff raff. LOL