10.28.2009

The Soccer Tournament

Last weekend Lexi, aka #21, had her end of season soccer tournament in Ohio. Mom made the trek from Arizona to join us and we headed out! Nate has taken Lex to most of the games all season because they are always on Saturdays so him and Liv stayed home on dog duty.

The normal 2 hour drive turned out to be a little longer because me and the GPS were having communication issues! ONE of my detours (there may have been 3) was through a lovely, picturesque little town.

Her team has been playing in the "premier" league all season, which is an older (more advanced skills) age group, these teams are practicing 2-3 times more each week then our team. Lexi's team probably won only half of their games all season, so going into the tournament I wasn't expecting them to do very well. Their coach had them play in the harder league all season and then entered them in this tournament which was against teams of their same age level.
There were eight teams split up into two groups, the winner of each group would play for the championship. They played two of their games Saturday and won! Lexi had one goal, a couple of attempts, one of which she got tackled so she got a goal kick... but since she had already scored a goal the coach let one of the other girls kick it. She had two other "goals" that they called off sides on... I only believe she was off sides on one, because she was dribbling the ball down herself on one of them (nobody passed the ball to her) so it would have been impossible for her to be off sides.... so she was robbed! Afterwards we went and checked into our hotel and had dinner with a some of girls from her team and their moms.
Sunday morning they played the last team in their group annihilating them so it was off to the championship game that afternoon for Erie United!!!
The team they were playing against did the same thing as them this season, playing in the harder league and dropping down into their own age group for the tournament, we played them a couple of weeks ago winning them with ease. I think the girls really underestimated them because the first half of the championship game the girls seemed to be more interested in watching the game then playing the game and the other team was able to score one goal. The second half of the game the girls came out and played hard, they kept the ball on their half of the field the entire time.... had a dozen goal attempts... two goals that the refs called off sides on.... one bloody nose... one bloody lip... but in the end zero goals... it just didn't go their way with the final score 0-1. Erie United came in second place.... pretty dang good, and a lot of fun to watch!
What a week for my cute sporty girl, way to go Lex! Arriving home on Sunday, Nate had a wonderful dinner prepared for us and afterwards we relaxed and played a couple of games of Apples to Apples... of which mother couldn't catch a break! What a fun weekend!

8 comments:

Tiff and Trev said...

Way to go, Lex! Seriously!! She amazes me! I don't know how I missed your last post about her basketball team...but that is awesome!!! And she's so beautiful too!!! Geeze...I can't believe how fast she's growing up...

Kellie said...

Wow, congrats Lexi! She is seriously so athletic and obviously really good at all of it!
What sport is next?

Shelly said...

Wow Lex, you are one talented girl! Congratulations on your games, you are amazing!! :)

Might I add that I hate apples to apples, I lose every single time!!

DHS Child Care Center said...

Lex, what are you going to do now that sports are done for the season? I can't believe how good you guys are. You have some serious talent.

Ang said...

Jennifer... they never end... now it is the start of "recreation" basketball and indoor soccer! And, no, I don't have a life... in case anyone was wondering!

Sheryl said...

It is quite embarrassing that with all you have going on you beat me to blogging it. Oh well. I'm glad you were able to salvage a couple of decent pics.

I had so much fun hanging with you two. Thanks for having me!

Unknown said...

Lexi you seriously rock! I wish I had that talent. I always LOVED basketball and was very envious of my friends who got to play soccer. I wish I would have had the opportunities that she has. What awesome parents you guys are to support all that she has going on!!! I love you guys!!

Grandmajoann said...

Good going Lexie. What a nice season you have had. What a nice experience for you. Fun things like this will make good memories. Ones that you will never forget! Now, I'm waiting to hear about Halloween?