10.07.2009

Feeling a little bit screwed... but it could have been worse

We picked our rotation sites tonight and it was quite the process. I only got a little bit screwed, other people got more screwed. Our school requires so many people to fill "mandatory" rotation spots first before you can "choose" where you want to go. These mandatory spots are hospitals and clinics with "special relationships" with our school so we basically have to volunteer for these or draw straws for who gets stuck with them. I will spare you all the intricate and crazy details of what was mandatory and what was available and what was restricted and cut to the chase. All of my rotations but two are in Buffalo. I wanted ONE in Erie this June but alas there were none available so that will be fun to coordinate with both me and Nate possibly commuting to Buffalo and the kids being raised by wolves until they are out of school. I say possibly commuting because I am eligible for free student housing and being that it is my surgery rotation I will probably just stay there. The two sites I was NOT able to get in Buffalo are...... a 4 week internal medicine rotation in Clarion, PA (middle of nowhere) and a 4 week surgical rotation in..... SCRANTON, PA baby! The rotation in Clarion does have free student housing but don't worry that Scranton doesn't offer ANY! Both of them are mandatory rotation sites and the Scranton one was the last one we had to draw out of a hat... and I WON that prize.

Anyways I am trying not to worry to much right now how this is going to all work out and just take it in steps. We still have 4 more sites we have to arrange... our electives and a family practice but these we set up on our own and, although there are some rules with them, we can choose any area or physician or clinic or hospital we would like as long as they will take us.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Well, I'm glad you didn't get TOTALLY screwed. I hope that it all works out well. I don't really like the idea of the girls being raised by wolves.

I do enjoy the fact that you will be rotating through Scranton. I want a lot of pictures while you are there.

Sheryl said...

While Scranton does sound like the sweetest of deals, it certainly is not convenient. I suppose it could have been worse, but you would have to give me a few scenarios to convince me.

It sounds like there are some logistics to work out, and I think we should look at some kinder, gentler animals to raise the girls. Perhaps guinea pigs. I guess it is probably nice know what is in store rather than still having to anticipate, and it does seem like there is plenty of time to work through the challenges.

Ang said...

I do like the idea of guinea pigs raising the girls... although someone will have to clean there cage!

Tiff and Trev said...

I am so excited for you to do your clinical rotations!!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy doing that much more than the course-work. I SO SO wish we were close so we could help more with the girls. I miss you all!

Sheryl said...

I had not thought about the cage cleaning aspect of guinea pigs. That does pose a problem. Maybe some trained chimps. No, then you get feces all over the place.

This is going to be harder than I thought.

Julie said...

Mabey you could just put the girls in cages...?

DHS Child Care Center said...

With chimps you also have to worry about them ripping your face off, so I vote no on the chimp. There appear to be a lot of bunnies available and they do their pooping outside, so perhaps that would be a better option.

Ang said...

So we are at caging the girls or hiring bunnies.... hmmmm.... this is such a hard decision!

iMzOOL said...

sounds like you were lucky. i remember helping nick apply for spots—not fun.

N and J said...

Glad Ang is finally doing the almost fun stuff. We could volunteer for a summer tour of duty but the dogs would probably eat us. Wish we could help in some way. Living in this new age world makes it a little scarey to leave the kids alone for any extended periods even with furocious gaurd dogs like yours. Hope everything works out.