4.17.2009

Reason To Celebrate

Say goodbye to casual weekday Nate......


Because you are looking at the new Senior Financial Analyst for Thermo Fisher!! This company is a world wide leader serving the scientific community with services and products for.... research labs, hospitals, pharmaceuticals, government agencies and universities, just to name a few.




CONGRATULATIONS NATE!!!!


After applying to jobs for months, going to interview after interview, turning down a few offers here and there... and then wondering if maybe he should have sucked it up and taken one even though it paid crap and wasn't really what he wanted to do..... it all payed off! I am so proud of you honey, for sticking it out and waiting for the right job, even though I may have complained just the tiniest little bit!


Just to give you all an idea of what he has been dealing with, for this company alone he had a total of EIGHT interviews and, of course, a few exams. It is insanely competitive.


I really worried that by moving us to small town America to go to medical school I had selfishly limited the career opportunities available to Nate. The last 8 months have been insane, my schedule has been exhausting and unrelenting and my mood most days is nothing less than 100% bitch, it has not been easy. I am so glad that Nate was willing to put his career goals on hold to help me out these last 8 months. He has been wonderful at taking care of the girls, the dogs and the house but it is time for him to move on to bigger and better things.
Now what I am going to do!! HELP WANTED... now hiring for several positions... cook, maid, chauffeur, dog walker, babysitter and personal assistant. None of these positions include a salary or any benefits, just the personal satisfaction of... okay who am I kidding, there really isn't much satisfaction there at all, if there were neither Nate or I would be chasing professional careers!!!

We are so excited for this new opportunity regardless of the challenges that are sure to follow. Nate will be working 2 hours away in Pittsburgh, so he will need a little apartment there as a 4 hour commute each day is pretty unrealistic. We will just have to settle for weekends together for the next little while. I will continue to stay here with the girls for at least another year of school and we will see if I am able to get clinical rotations there or re-evaluate on where we want to go and what will be best for our family. Stay tuned because I am sure things are about to get a little bit crazy here... we will let you all know how it goes!

20 comments:

Tilley/Booth said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so proud of you as you should be for yourself! You guys are amazing I'm sure everything will work out great!

Miss and love you guys so much!

So when do you start anyway?

John said...

Nate & Ang,

Congrats to both of you. Nate, I'm happy you found a job that doesn't require flying anywhere. You should go out and celebrate!

Jessica said...

Congrats, It is awesome that you were able to stick it out long enough to have a job doing something that you really wanted to do!

~Cynthia~ said...

CONGRATULATIONS NATE!! That is just awesome. I wish there would have been something closer than Pittsburgh, but my girls love Pittsburgh since visiting Stephanie last summer. Steph may be able to give you some ideas on apartments or where best to look. If you want, let me know and I'll hook you guys up via email.

Denise said...

Hip Hip Hooray!!!! I am so excited! I hope I will still be seeing you when I come in May. I can't wait to talk more with you in person :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That is so Awesome! If I wasn't married and have my own kids to take care of I would be happy to come help you Ang! I am getting to be a pretty good cook and I am a pro at babysitting, cleaning and dog walking. I think I would be perfect for the job! I would just need somewhere to live, maybe a free room in the house. Good Luck with the crazyness! I will be thinking of you and your family!

N and J said...

Congratulations Nate. Looks like all that education and your competetive nature have really paid off. It's great you were able to hold out for something you wanted. With a tough market out there we are sure they picked the best candidate for the job. The company is lucky to get you.

Shelly said...

Congratulations Nathan!! We are so proud of you!! It looks like your patience paid off. How soon do you start? We can't wait to get more details...

Hey Ang, I'll come and work for you, Nate will tell you that I make one heck of a Hamburger Helper meal!!

We love you guys and miss you tons!!

Grandmajoann said...

What a lot of work to get a job. After the interviews I would have been burnt out. I am so happy for you. And, just look how fun the weekends will be. You can mow the lawn! Weed the flower beds! Play with the dogs! And, just maybe there will be time left over for the family. Only kidding. You will have great weekends. And, you look awesome all dressed up.

Unknown said...

Nate you rock! Congratulations! I am not surprised you were picked for the job. I am proud of you and what a wonderful husband and father you are.
Ang- I would be more than happy to come and help out whenever you would like. I will however be packing a newborn around with me. Seriously though, I would love to help out if I can. I miss those girls of yours so much!!

Nate said...

Ang certainly put together a great post, a wonderful dinner of crab cakes, rice, a salad with homemade croutons, and champagne (although, right now, my pounding head is not thankful for the champagne). She is amazing.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I have a "tentative" start date of April 27, but we will see if everything is worked out by then. I will do a more detailed post when I know more.

Jo: just because you came on here to congratulate me, does not excuse you for being the "weakest link". I expect a blog, with some pictures of your family at least once a month and I will NOT settle for anything less. I have totally forgotten what Colton looks like and I didn't even recognize you on Denise's blog. If you have problems with your computer, CALL me, because I would love to help you.

John: welcome to our blog and thank you.

Cynthia: I would certainly love to have some input from Stephanie. I don't know the area very good at all, so it would be great to talk to someone who lives there.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.

Tiff and Trev said...

I'm not sure exactly what a "Senior Financial Analyst" does, but it sounds very important! Nate, I'm SO happy for you! I don't know if I would have been as patient as you looking for the perfect job, but it has really paid off! I'm so proud of you! And you look so professional too.

I wish I was closer to fill in the gaps while you're away working, I can't imagine how Ang is going to do it all! You guys are amazing though, and I know you'll figure it out. I wish I could fly out there and come to your rescue, but I think I would be more of a hinder than help with my two little monsters :o).

I love you guys, and you continue to amaze me...

Steph Thompson said...

Yeah Nate!!!!! This makes all of the waiting worthwhile! As my son said "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it!" although you already knew that as you are married to him! LOVE YOU!!!!!

Sheryl said...

Well, we are incredibly late here because we were at the race when we got the news, but CONGRATULATIONS!

We were the only people at the track at that particular moment cheering, jumping up and down, and high fiving. Everyone was staring at us like we had lost our minds. I'm screaming "Yea! Our son-in-law got the job!"

Needless to say we are stoked for you! I am still planning to win the Power Ball pretty soon, and will come up to help out as soon as I can quit my job.

LOVE YOU ALL!

Shelbi Jean said...

Congratulations Barnes Family! That is fantastic news for all of you. I am sure it will be rough for you all, but you are a solid family and you will always pull through together. We are happy for you!

Jen said...

Hooray! I am so happy for you. I hope that everything works out well. I wish that I were closer so I could help out.

joyce said...

I am still in awe over this blogging thing and find how happy and part of the crew it makes us feel. Congratulations from the bottom of our hearts. We are soooooooo impressed. You both deserve the very best and you are willing to work hard to get there. What a family!

~Cynthia~ said...

I like your new blog title. Very fitting.

The Toone's said...

Holy Cow, am I even worthy to say congrats or to be considered as family? That is AWESOME!! You guys deserve it. Tell both of the girls hi for me that that I miss them. You guys need to come visit and have a pool party this summer. If you do that I will make sure Rylin won't drive for another 15 years. Deal?

The Toone's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.